Top Tips for living like a Sloane on a budget

London is a pretty fabulous city. It has an atmosphere full of excitement that surrounds you as you quickly stroll down the pavement (you must do everything quickly if you want to look like a native Londoner) and every corner, every street has a must-visit store, restaurant or bar.

However, what do you do when you aren’t one of the cast of Made in Chelsea and the train ticket itself makes you feel like you’re going to have to eat ramen for a month. Suddenly those town houses with the grand pillars and flashy designer stores seem incredibly out of reach for us mere mortals.

This is where I decided to make it my mission to spend a weekend in London as a “millionaire”. Yes I was going to have to spend money but decided I was going to be city savvy and get that Sloane experience without spending a fortune.

So after having the most amazing time, here are my top tips for living THAT London lifestyle

Top tip 1:

Hotel

This part is crucial. I could have booked into a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge (both of which are great) but to get that real feel of living in a SW postal area I booked into Collin House on Ebury Street. For the same price, you do get a much smaller room but a hotel is for sleeping and boy was my bed comfortable. I had a sink and the crucial kettle and tea for my morning and evening cuppa and importantly I got to wake up to a gorgeous view of Belgravia with those must-have stores right on my door step.

Oh and when I say right on my door step, I mean right on my door step. My first stop was Baker & Spice where I devoured my eggs Benedict with a large cappuccino and watched the hustle and bustle of London on a Saturday morning whilst planning how I was going to do my own bustling for the day.

Baker & Spice Elizabeth Street London

Baker & Spice Elizabeth Street London

Baker & Spice Elizabeth Street London

Breakfast brings me to my second tip.

Top tip 2:

Food

Food is the one thing where you can sit down and have a little slice of luxury life for less than a tenner. Just metres away from my hotel is the cupcake shop of all cupcake shops, the pretty pink corner with a flower display to die for…

Peggy Porschen Cakes

Peggy Porschen Elizabeth Street London

Peggy Porschen Elizabeth Street London

Peggy Porschen Elizabeth Street London

Peggy Porschen Elizabeth Street London

As a blogger, it would have been blogger suicide to visit London and not go to Peggy Porschen. As you can tell from the many photos I took, the store is gorgeous and the cupcakes certainly live up to all that expectation.

I chose Summer Berry, a light sponge filled with fruit and topped with the smoothest creamiest icing that I have ever tasted. You must visit early though (another plus of staying so close) if you want to grab one of the coveted spots to sit and enjoy your cupcake treat. Peggy Porschen cakes opens at 9am, I got there 9:05 and it was already full except for one seat that clearly had my name on it.

Peggy Porschen Elizabeth Street London

Full of breakfast and sweet treats, it was time to stroll down Sloane Street and stare at all the designer clothes on display and make my way up to the mother of all designer stores Harrods.

Dolce and Gabbana Sloane Street London

Miu Miu Sloane Street London

Gucci Harrods London

Laduree Macarons Harrods London

Top tip 3:

Window Shopping

Now I know some people don’t see the point of shopping if you can’t buy anything, especially when a bag costs more than most people’s monthly rent. However I find that actually owning the bag is nowhere near as thrilling as being in the store with the anticipation of making a purchase.

Think about it, going into an ultra fancy store where the items are so pretty you simply have to pick them all up, placing a Fendi bag with detachable pom pom strap on your arm and posing in a mirror surrounded by plush furniture and relaxing music, that’s the fun part!

In fact I don’t understand why stores don’t offer a window shopping service where you get to sit down, be shown the latest season clothes, then you make lots of oooohs and ahhhhs whilst sashaying round the store in a Dolce & Gabbana pineapple dress. Maybe I need to write a letter to Harrods, or go on Dragon’s den. My point is window shopping is the new actual shopping. So go to Harrods and peruse to your hearts content.

Laduree Macarons Harrods London

Top tip 4:

Complimentary treatments

So after you’ve stuffed your face with fancy food and had a sit down after all that shopping it’s time for another treat. Many beauty stores will offer complimentary makeovers, beauty advice or maybe even a sample or two if you ask nicely. For my trip to London there was one thing I had to do and that was the Fragrance Tapas at Jo Loves.

Completely complimentary, although you are strongly advised to book early, this is the ultimate fragrance experience and deserves a whole post all by itself which you can read about here.

Jo Loves Elizabeth Street London

Jo Loves Elizabeth Street London

Last but not least, because I picked one of the least popular times of day to travel, I was not only able to get a more reasonably priced ticket but due to lack of people I got to travel back home first class for a couple quid extra, and although it’s not crucial it is a perfect way to end a perfect day.

Ultimately, I felt like I was really living the luxe life. Yes you are never going to get a day out like this for twenty pounds, but I advise you treat it as almost a mini holiday. Save up and spend your money and time doing things that allow you to be a part of that atmosphere and location and remember to enjoy every moment.

1. Terri
    July 30, 2017 / 7:10 pm

London is such a gorgeous city isn’t it! Your photos are amazing gal.

July 31, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Definitely! I love London. Once I get over all the people that is haha. I’m not used to so many people but London is such a fun city with so many things to see and do. xx

2. July 30, 2017 / 7:12 pm

Your pictures are amazing! so pretty! I love London! Such a vibrant city! So much to do and see! I lived there for six months and I was indeed living the life… but not feeling like a millionaire ahah

August 1, 2017 / 8:30 am

Thank you!
      Yeah I know that feeling! I’m originally from Bedfordshire and would visit London loads but now I live in Liverpool the difference in cost of everything is MASSIVE. Maybe one day when I win the Lotto I can live like a true millionaire but for now my own version of luxury is pretty fun. xx

3. Robyn
    July 30, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Oooh I’ve been planning on going to London and this post has been super helpful for me planning my trip! I also love your photos in this post!
    Robyn // http://www.midnightandlace.co.uk/

August 1, 2017 / 8:34 am

No problem! It’s always the little details that make a trip extra special. Just swapping a coffee at Costa to an individual boutique cafe makes me feel really fancy and I don’t have to spend a fortune for that experience. Hope you have a fab time in London and I’ll keep an eye out for a London post the Midnight and Lace way if you do one! xx

4. Kate
    July 30, 2017 / 7:29 pm

Ooh great post! I love Peggy Porschen – so much fun and total blogger heaven, such a good spot for people watching, too!

I had no idea about the Jo Malone fragrance tapas experience, I’m definitely going to look into that.

Lovely photos and looks like you had a fabulous time (and managed to do so on a budget!) in the city!

Kate x

August 1, 2017 / 8:40 am

I was worried Peggy Porschen’s wasn’t going to live up to the hype but I am still thinking about that cupcake! I would have bought a whole box except I wanted to make the rounds at lots of bakeries and indulge haha.
      Definitely look into the Jo Loves Fragrance Tapas, it was so much fun and the team are amazing. So friendly and know what they are talking about when it comes to Jo Malone. xx

5. July 30, 2017 / 7:30 pm

I definitely think saving for a little slice of luxury is a really nice idea and it sounds like you had a great day! Especially food wise, that cake looked incredible x

Eleanorclaudie.com

August 1, 2017 / 8:43 am

I think it’s the best way to do it. I know it’s a slim chance of me actually becoming a millionaire but why should that mean I don’t get to have the same experiences! The food was amazing and I’m so annoyed at myself for not buying a whole box of cupcakes. xx

6. July 30, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Such a great idea for a post! You really do sound like you lived the luxury lifestyle on a budget! Window shopping is the best! It makes me feel very posh hehe
    I’m so jealous you went to Peggy Porschen’s I’d love to visit, your wee cupcake looks so good!
    Looking forward to the post on your frangrance experience!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

August 1, 2017 / 8:49 am

Thank you! Yeah I love a bit of window shopping in fancy places especially if it’s bags haha.
      It really was a great cupcake and the shop was exactly what I imagined, the ultimate bloggers paradise and right round the corner from Jo Loves so it was a perfect spot to spend the day. xx

7. July 30, 2017 / 7:51 pm

I don’t get to visit London very often as getting there is expensive never mind the expenses once I’m there haha! There are some really good tips here, and I’m definitely going to save to do something like this!xx

Hannah | luxuryblush

August 1, 2017 / 8:52 am

I am exactly the same. After train tickets and hotel expenses I don’t have a lot of money to go crazy in London, which is why I wanted to find places to go that would make the experience so much more than just a normal trip to a city. I think with enough planning you can fit lots of fun stuff in just one day and make it really worth while. xx

8. July 30, 2017 / 9:34 pm

I’ve been a Londoner for 14 years and I’ve still never been to Harrods! Do love Laduree macarons though… and you’re right about doing things quickly. You can definitely tell the tourists by the speed they move, especially in the tube!

August 1, 2017 / 8:56 am

What!?!? I can’t believe you’ve never been to Harrods haha. I’ve got to admit it is quite daunting in there but it is the perfect place for window shopping. Definitely! I always try and find exactly which train lines I need to go on beforehand so I look like I know where I am going 😂 and it seems to work as I got asked by two separate people for directions when I was there so hopefully that means I look like a real Londoner! xx