Pixi + Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse

The other day it hit me that I’m 27 years old (27 and 1/2 to be exact), and although I know I’m still young, it’s kind of crept up on me and come out of nowhere! As I’m sure many of you will understand, at 18 I envisioned being that typical “real” adult by the time I got to the age I am now, and having everything planned out and under control. Obviously that is not the case, with the exception of one thing, and that’s looking after my skin.

I have been focusing more on a proper skincare routine for quite a few months now, and I am always on the look out for new skincare products that thoroughly clean my skin whilst keeping my skin in good condition for the future.

Now unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you will have heard about the collaboration between beauty brand Pixi and skincare queen Caroline Hirons. Known as the Double Cleanse, it claims to be the answer to perfect skin. I’m sure you are all aware, but for those at the back, the Double Cleanse has two separate section; a solid cleansing balm that you use first to remove makeup, and a cleansing cream to properly cleanse your skin and prep it for the rest of your skincare.

Pixi Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse

You may wonder what’s the point of two cleansers or even that you don’t have time to cleanse twice, well at least that’s what I thought. However, it is important to remove makeup first otherwise the ingredients in the second cleanser won’t be able to work their magic, and after using this for some time I’ve realised it takes minutes to double cleanse, very speedy!

On to the actual cleansers.

Both have zero fragrance, which I think is great if you are sensitive to overpowering scents. Personally, I like a bit of fragrance in my skincare but being scent free is certainly not something that puts me off a product.

The solid cleansing oil melts ridiculously well onto my skin, and it feels comfortable enough to put on my eyes to remove my mascara and eyeshadow without it messing up my eyesight. You can literally see it soaking up all the makeup while you massage it over your face. It washes off easily and doesn’t leave any oily residue unlike other excessively oily cleansers.

Pixi Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse cleansing oil

Pixi Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse cleansing oil blended

Next the cleansing cream. It has a lovely texture that glides onto the skin and is a joy to use. It seems to get absorbed by my face, which I hope means all those skin-loving ingredients are actually reaching the deep layers of the epidermis. It washes off easily, leaving my face clean and soft without drying it out.

Pixi Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse cleansing cream

Pixi Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse cleansing cream blended

Overall, I think this is a wonderful product, however I’m not 100% sure it’s for me. I have been using it every evening for nearly a month now to see its effectiveness, and in terms of cleaning my skin it’s fabulous but may be causing me to break out more than usual. Obviously I get hormonal spots, but usually they disappear after a week. Since using this I have continued to develop spots, particularly on my chin, but also on my cheeks where I never normally get them. It recommends using a coin size amount of each cleanser, and I even reduced this by half and still had breakouts.

I would still recommend giving this a try, as the concept and product itself have been thought out and well executed. It may be more suitable for people who have dry to normal skin, considering how my oily skin has reacted. Although everyone’s skin is different, and if you have had success with similar cleansing formulas you may be ok, so definitely go for it!

Do you double cleanse?

1. Luisa
    April 15, 2017 / 9:38 am

I’m dry skinned and I think this would be great for me, I think perhaps it’s too rich for your skin, what a Shane if it’s the cause of your breakouts, especially bc you like it

April 15, 2017 / 10:21 am

I totally agree! I think it is a really nice product and it feels lovely so I’m going to give the rest to my mum as she has dry skin and don’t want it to go to waste. Unfortunately like you said I think it is just too rich for my skin, and since I stopped using it my breakouts have calmed down, but I would still recommend it to other people.

April 16, 2017 / 8:30 pm

I’d definitely think about giving this a go then. In the end, after properly testing it, I had about half of each side left and then gave the rest to my mum (who has dry skin) and she really likes it. She says it does feel quite rich but that’s not a problem for her! xx

2. April 16, 2017 / 7:41 pm

I am in the love the sound of this product! It’s been on my mind to try out for a while because I love the idea of it having the solid cleansing balm for removing makeup from the superficial layer of the skin and then a cream cleanser to do a deeper cleanse :). I do however worry it may cause me to break out more but I guess I’ll have to see what it’s like for myself and how well it suits my skin. Also, what beautiful photos – they look so pretty! :).

Ellie Xx | http://www.make-it-up.co.uk

April 16, 2017 / 8:33 pm

I’d still give this a go, but start of with the smallest amount, especially of the oil. In the end I had about half of each side left and gave it to my mum (who has dry skin) and even she said she uses just a little as the oil spreads over the skin very well and it’s quite rich, but she loves it! xx

3. April 16, 2017 / 7:56 pm

I HAVE got to get my hands on some of this and give it a try

April 16, 2017 / 8:34 pm

It’s a really lovely cleanser and if it suits your skin then I honestly think you’d find it hard to change to any other cleanser! xx

4. April 17, 2017 / 2:34 pm

This sounds great and lovely photos, by the way! I struggle with skincare – I barely have a routine and I’m so NOT clued up with what I should be using! I get horrendous hormonal breakouts, which have been constant for the past month, so I’m so wary of creams at the moment. It’s such a struggle!

April 17, 2017 / 2:49 pm

Hey!
      I know exactly how you feel. My skin is very oily and I get a lot of spots on my chin, so I am very wary of using heavy creams. I have tried a lot of different cleansers and moisturisers etc, and the important thing to remember is if you suffer from breakouts, is not to go the other way and use products that strip your skin of the natural oils, so I don’t use things which have too much witch hazel or tea tree oil. My ultimate cleanser is the Rodial super acids x-treme glycolic cleanser. It’s not too harsh but makes me skin feel clean. It is quite pricey so I’d recommend the sister brand Nip+Fab and anything in the dragon’s blood or glycolic exfoliate range as they are supposed to be very good! hope that helps xx